Anti-Chatter Transmission Oil
NOTE: NOTE: Tractor is filled with John Deere Low Viscosity HY-GARDŽ (J20D) transmission oil at the factory. DO NOT mix oils.
These tractors are equipped with a hydraulic wet disc clutch transmission. To avoid chatter, use only Low Viscosity HY-GARDŽ (J20D) transmission oil. DO NOT use type "F" automatic transmission fluid.
IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! When operating in temperatures below
-7°C (20°F), you must use Low Viscosity HY-GARDŽ or transmission damage will occur.
John Deere Low Viscosity HY-GARDŽ (J20D) transmission oil is specially formulated to minimize clutch chatter, and to provide maximum protection against mechanical wear, corrosion, and foaming.
Checking Transmission Oil Level
1. Park vehicle on a level surface.
IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! DO NOT OVERFILL.Too much oil can cause leaks. Vehicle is filled at thefactory with J20D fluid. DO NOT MIX fluids.
2. Check transmission oil level before you operate vehicle. Oil must be visible in sight tube (A).
3. If oil is low, raise seat. Remove fill plug (B).
4. Add John Deere Low Viscosity HY-GARDŽ or an equivalent J20D transmission oil. (See Transmission Oil in this section.)
5. Install fill plug.
6. Run engine for a few minutes. Stop engine and check transmission oil level sight tube. Add oil as necessary.
7. Lower seat.
Changing Transmission Oil And Filter
IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Change transmission oil filter after first 50 hours of break-in operation.
1. STOP engine and engage park brake.
2. Remove drain plug (A) to drain oil.
NOTE: While oil is draining, change the filter.
3. Turn transmission filter (B) counterclockwise with a filter wrench to remove it.
4. Put a film of clean transmission oil on seal of new filter.
5. Fill the filter 1/3 to 1/2 full with John Deere Low Viscosity
HY-GARDŽ or an equivalent J20D transmission oil. (See Transmission Oil in this section.)
6. QUICKLY tighten the filter until it contacts the mounting surface. Tighten filter BY HAND 1/2 turn more.
7. Install and tighten drain plug.
8. Lift seat.
9. Open fill plug (C). Add approximately 4.7 L (5 qt) of John Deere Low Viscosity HY-GARDŽ or an equivalent J20D transmission oil. (See Transmission Oil in this section.) Close fill plug.
10. Start engine and check for oil leaks around filter base and drain plug.
11. Move vehicle backward and forward a few times using the hydrostatic (cruise) control lever and foot controls.
12. Stop engine. Wait 3 minutes.
13. Oil must be in the center of the sight tube (D). If necessary, add more oil.
Use grease based on the expected air temperature range during the service interval.
The following greases are preferred:
ˇ John Deere Moly High Temperature EP Grease.
ˇ John Deere High Temperature EP Grease.
ˇ John Deere GREASE-GARD.
Other greases may be used are:
ˇ SAE Multipurpose EP Grease with 3 to 5 percent molybdenum disulfide.
ˇ SAE Multipurpose EP Grease.
ˇ Greases meeting Military Specification MIL-G-10924C may be used as arctic grease.
Lubricating Drive Shaft
1. STOP the engine and engage the park brake.
2. Lubricate point (A) on the drive shaft with John Deere EP grease or an equivalent. (See Grease in this section for specified grease.)
NOTE: The U-Joint has been lubricated at the factory and does not require further lubrication.