Anti-Chatter Transmission Oil
NOTE: Tractor is filled with John Deere Low Viscosity HY-GARDŽ (J20D) transmission oil at the factory. DO NOT mix oils.
These tractors are equipped with a hydraulic wet disc PTO clutch. To avoid chatter, use only Low Viscosity HY-GARDŽ (J20D) transmission oil. DO NOT use type "F" automatic transmission fluid.
John Deere Low Viscosity HY-GARDŽ (J20D) transmission oil is specially formulated to minimize clutch chatter, and to provide maximum protection against mechanical wear, corrosion, and foaming. Low Viscosity HY-GARDŽ may be used in all operating temperatures.
Checking Transaxle Oil Level
IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Check oil level when transaxle is cold.
Check transaxle oil level before you operate vehicle.
1. Park vehicle on a level surface.
2. Slide seat forward.
3. Remove dipstick (A). Wipe dipstick with a clean rag.
4. Install dipstick until it rests on top of fill tube. Do not tighten it.
IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Do not overfill. Too much oil can cause oil leaks.
Tractor is filled with John Deere Low Viscosity HY-GARDŽ(J20D) fluid at the factory.
5. Remove dipstick. Oil level should be between marks (B) and (C).
6. If oil is low, add John Deere Low Viscosity HY-GARDŽ or an equivalent J20D transmission oil to proper level.
7. Install and tighten dipstick. Run engine a few minutes. Stop engine and check oil level. Add oil as necessary.
8. Return seat to operating position.
Changing Transaxle Oil and Filter
NOTE: Change transaxle oil filter after first 50 hours of break-in operation.
1. Stop engine and engage park brake.
NOTE: While oil is draining, change the filter. Some oil may come out of the filter and filter base when you remove the filter. Be sure drain pan is under filter also.
2. Place drain pan so it is under the drain plug (A) and the filter. Remove drain plug to drain oil.
3. Turn transaxle filter (B) counterclockwise with a filter wrench to remove it.
4. Put a film of clean transmission oil on seal of new filter.
5. Install the filter until it contacts the mounting surface. Tighten filter by hand 2/3 to 1 turn more.
6. Install and tighten drain plug.
7. Slide seat forward.
8. Remove dipstick (C). Add John Deere Low Viscosity HY-GARDŽ or an equivalent J20D transmission oil:
ˇ 6.6 L (7.0 qt) - two wheel steer.
ˇ 5.7 L (6.0 qt) - all wheel steer.
9. Install and tighten dipstick.
10. Start engine and check for oil leaks around filter base and drain plug.
11. Return seat to operating position, drive vehicle forward and backward a few times.
12. Stop engine. Wait a minimum of 3 minutes, transaxle should be cold.
13. Check oil level. Oil must be between marks (D) and (E) on dipstick. If necessary, add more oil.